I’m often accused of packing my posts full of flowery verbiage and using alliteration with alarming alacrity; however this one is brief and succinct.
Today I simply wanted to highlight a fantastic piece of social media marketing from Marks and Spencer. This morning, the retail giant tweeted the following:
Why is this so spot-on?
• It communicates M&S’ corporate social responsibility (CSR) and charity commitments through a social channel
• It offers consumers the chance to be involved with, and contribute to, the brand’s activity
• It utilises technology (Foursquare) to encourage check-ins
• It utilises a hashtag – #MS4sq – to drive PR / digital buzz
• It references the charity’s Twitter handle, thus engaging their social team
• It drives footfall amongst consumers with a worthy mechanic
Whether this drives an extra billion pounds of sales of not, the fact remains that behind social execution lies rational, intelligent digital marketing strategy.
And this is what turns branded social media activity into effective social media marketing.